Do I need to file FBAR if I send $25000 to my fathers account in India?

1 Answer 1


Do you have signature authority or interest in the account? Then yes.

Interest in the account means that you wire $25K to your dad, but the money still belongs to you (I.e.: if you ask for it your dad will give it back to you).

  • How can interest in account be officially proved ? Jul 27, 2015 at 5:33
  • @JavaDeveloper you never know who might agree to testify against you.
    – littleadv
    Jul 27, 2015 at 6:31
  • 1
    @JavaDeveloper You have an interest in the account if you are listed as a co-owner of the account along with your parents. This is a very common practice in India. Signature authority means that you can operate the account too, withdrawing money from it, or transferring it elsewhere. In India, it is common practice that a bank will allow only the first-named account holder to operate the account, but legally, you have an interest in the account as well as signature authority even though the bank will fight tooth-and-nail against allowing the latter. Aug 7, 2016 at 16:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .