My uncle has sold his property and he deposited the money he received from selling the property. I like to know, if he keeps that amount in his bank account for an year, will that money be taxed? He is a senior citizen and has no income. Should the money be invested to avoid any tax deduction?

1 Answer 1


You uncle is liable to pay "Capital-Gains" tax. Essentially the sale price less of cost would be treated as gains. The gains are taxed at 10% without indexation and 20% with Indexation.

The capital gains tax can be avoided if your uncle invests the gains into specified "Infrastructure bonds" or buys another property within a period of 3 years. The funds need to be kept in a separate "Capital Gains" account and not a regular savings account till you buy another property within 3 years.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.