Good afternoon, I'm currently serving the RAF Overseas in Cyprus and am looking at ordering a new laptop from PC Specialist (a UK company). My question is simple, am I eligible to buy this item without paying VAT (or claim back the VAT) given that I am getting it sent overseas. Thanks in advance!
If you are an UK citizen and resident, then no.
If you are an EU resident or non-EU resident then yes, but there are conditions.
You can sometimes get VAT refunds on goods bought in the UK if you:
- visit the UK but live outside the EU and are going back home
- are an EU resident leaving the EU for 12 months or more
- are a non-EU resident but work or study in the UK and are leaving the EU for 12 months or more
You can’t get a VAT refund for:
- mail order goods, including internet sales
- goods you’ve already used in the EU, such as perfume
- service charges, eg hotel bills
- new or used cars
- goods worth more than £600 exported for business purposes
- goods to be exported as freight
- goods that need an export licence (except antiques)
- unmounted gemstones
- gold over 125g, 2.75 troy ounces or 10 tolas
- a boat you plan to sail to a destination outside the EU
As bringing a laptop
PCSpecialist is an online sale(I bought my desktop from them), I don't think you can claim VAT.