My company is looking to temporarily (6months) re-locate me to Boston from California. I think I will be keeping my permanent residence as my home address in CA.

My question is, will I need to file taxes in both CA and MA for 2015?

1 Answer 1


My question is, will I need to file taxes in both CA and MA for 2015?

Yes. You might even end up being resident in both, check MA residency requirements.

  • That is what I am struggling with. US Tax confuses the hell out of me! :) Is there a simple rule like, "if you are in MA for x days you file, otherwise you don't"? Jun 26, 2015 at 20:09
  • 2
    You file regardless since you have MA-sourced income. The question of residency comes when you need to pay MA taxes on out-of-MA income.
    – littleadv
    Jun 26, 2015 at 20:13
  • Many companies will provide advice/assistance to folks on temporary assignment, or relocating within the company, out of state. Ask your HR department.
    – keshlam
    Jun 26, 2015 at 21:30
  • 1
    Don't know about Massachusetts specifically, but if it's like California you would file the non-resident tax return. And it looks as though it will be simple to keep non-resident status: mass.gov/dor/individuals/filing-and-payment-information/…
    – jamesqf
    Jun 26, 2015 at 22:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.