I am a Canadian citizen. What legalities do I need to follow if I take up a full time remote job offer from a company in USA? Also, how does the answer change if the job offer is in USA (remote) but i am working as independent contractor, not employee?

Do I need separate work visa?

  • Are you asking about how to be self-employed in Canada, or how to get a TN visa to move to the US?
    – littleadv
    Jun 17, 2015 at 17:08
  • I dont want to move to the US, I want to work remotely for a US employer/client, from my home in Canada. For this purpose, do i need a visa?
    – Victor123
    Jun 17, 2015 at 17:21
  • No, why would you. You'd be self-employed in Canada.
    – littleadv
    Jun 17, 2015 at 17:24
  • Thanks. So my corporation will pay taxes to both IRS and CRA?
    – Victor123
    Jun 17, 2015 at 17:27
  • Why would you pay taxes to IRS?
    – littleadv
    Jun 17, 2015 at 17:27

1 Answer 1


The way most companies handle cross-border payroll is to attach the remote worker to a department already in that country for legal/financial purposes and then put them "on assignment" across the border. This avoids expensive and complicated paperwork, letting the company move the money internally (much simpler) and then make normal payment. Simplifies the employee's taxes too, obviously.

(I spent several years based in Boston but assigned to the Toronto lab.)

If there isn't already an office in that country to play this roll, companies may not even want to try to have people working remotely from another country. The overhead is just too high for a single individual.

I have no idea whether/how this is affected by being a contractor rather than employee.

  • Thanks. Just curious, what Toronto lab? IBM?
    – Victor123
    Jun 17, 2015 at 19:15
  • Yep. XML, XSLT, and related technologies.
    – keshlam
    Jun 18, 2015 at 0:28

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .