My state tax for 2013 turned out to be larger then was withheld. As a result, the extra state tax I paid was included (by Glacier software) into the "Itemized deduction" line of my 2014 federal return. Apparently, the IRS did not believe that I paid this extra state tax, and that I am qualified for that extra deduction: they sent me a notice that they want me to prove it. The same situation is described in this question.

How do I prove I paid that extra tax? Should I request some form from the state revenue service? Or should I just send to the IRS all 10 pages of my 2013 state tax return?

1 Answer 1


Yes, your State tax return and the bank statement showing the check/deduction for that amount (and the canceled check itself, if you mailed a check).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.