I was in USA for last 10 years, and I am not able to repay the credit-card payment, not even the minimum payment due. I was paying the minimum payment due before, but as I do not have a job anymore I am unable to pay even that now.

I have all the intention to pay my credit card bills, however my questions are :

  1. Can they come to my Home Country CANADA, and ask for payment ?
  2. What should I do ?
  3. Should I call the bank about my current situation ? Will this work ?
  • 2
    Nice constructive answer below. I might only add that the original question is a classic example of the dangers of credit cards. Also, if one is an able reasonably healthy adult, there is virtually no excuse for not having a job for an extended period in today's economy, whether in the U.S. or Canada. I recommend finding A job - ANY job - asap, downsizing to absolute bare essentials (cheapest rent close to work etc) for a period of about 6 months to a year. You will be surprised how much you will be able to save and pay off, to move closer to financial independence. Lessons learned! Good luck. – A.S May 7 '15 at 12:50

Banks are international these days. So are collection agencies. Assume they can prosecute in Canada.

Your best bet, I think, is to talk to the bank ASAP, before they write you off as a bad debt. You aren't the only person to lose a job. If you haven't been running the card up to its maximum to keep yourself afloat -- if you're really just left with a normal balance -- you may be able to talk them into letting you make some token payment for a few months while you get at least enough of a temp job to feed yourself and start making larger payments to them. Convince them that you will pay it off, so it's better for them to carry you than to sell your account at a partial loss.

Also, it's time to swallow your pride and ask relatives if they could help you cover that minimum payment. Offer to pay them interest on the loan they make to you -- they may turn you down, but making it a business transaction saves face for everyone and makes destroying the relationship less likely.

(I've been on the other side of a "help, I'm out of work and need to cover expenses" loan -- and it really was a loan, legal paperwork and me paying tax on the interest income and all, though I insisted on charging a minimal interest rate.)

  • Agree with @keshlam and I did this for my now wife. Now we're in a better spot in terms of credit and also were able to repay my friend (whom I asked) with a nominal interest (from the hefty interest that we ended up saving by not paying high APRs). – perennial_noob May 28 '19 at 21:31

How long has this situation going on?

If you've been like this for more than 2 years and have no real possibilities to pay it off in the net 10 year, you should consider bankruptcy. Many people will do better with a fresh start that being stuck in this situation forever.

Sure, your credit score will suffer and you may not be able to get a credit card in a while, but that may be a blessing in disguise.

Best of luck!

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.