Our current primary residence (in MD) is under contract to a property developer, and we expect to go to closing in about 24 months. If we build a new primary residence on property that we own in another state (PA) before closing on the current residence, will we still qualify for the $500,000 exemption from capital gains?


The exemption has nothing to do with buying. Only selling after owning a house for 2+ years. The rules have exceptions, but this is the general idea for gain exemption. How long have you been in your current house?

  • We have lived here 49 years. – oldtimer43 May 3 '15 at 18:23
  • Someone told me that we would only qualify for the exemption if we put that money into a new primary residence. That didn't sound right to me, so I wanted some professional info. – oldtimer43 May 3 '15 at 18:25
  • 1
    The need to roll over gains into a new residence ended with tax law changes in the 1990's. – mhoran_psprep May 3 '15 at 18:35
  • 1
    As mhoran noted, the law changed 25 years ago. "Someone" should stop offering bad advice. – JTP - Apologise to Monica May 3 '15 at 18:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.