I need to pay rent to my landlord on or before the day I arrive in America. Right now I live in Canada, and I have the money to pay (in USD), I just do not know what the most efficient payment method is.

As far as I know, I have 4 options:

  1. Bring cash when travelling to the US, open a US bank account, and use a cheque

  2. Create a money order in Canada for USD, give that to my landlord (not guaranteed to work?)

  3. Wire the funds (will probably work, but at a high cost)

  4. Transfer through PayPal - meaning I have to exchange my USD to CAD (since I can only do transactions with my CAD bank account) and then pay through PayPal (where it will go through another exchange from CAD to US).

I am not sure if I have other options, or if there is an option I am missing. I say that a money order might not work because I've heard of complications with banks refusing money orders from Canada even though they are in USD.

Which option should I take? I feel like trying to take such a large (at least to me, it is large) amount of money across the border is potentially dangerous, but could be the best way. I am not sure.

1 Answer 1


A USD bank draft from any of the major Canadian banks is a good solution. They clear quickly in the U.S. I use them frequently and have never had a problem depositing them in a U.S. bank account.

If you carry more than $10k across the border, even as a cheque, be sure to declare it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.