I'm self-employed. I pay self-employment tax on ( income - business deductions ) * 92.35%.

Can I make contributions to a retirement account that counts as a business deduction?

More details:

I'm deciding what kind of retirement account to open. I don't make much money, so my income tax bracket is low. But I pay SE tax, which is a lot. So whether to go Roth or not depends, I think, on whether a pre-tax account would allow me to shield money from SE taxes. Since my income is low, contribution limits are not a major concern.

  • You cannot deduct your personal contributions to a retirement account as a business deduction on Schedule C. – Dilip Sarwate Apr 24 '15 at 2:50
  • 1
    SE tax is just another name for FICA taxes, where the employee and employer parts are combined together. Retirement plan contributions do not affect FICA taxes, so why do you think they would affect SE taxes? – user102008 Apr 25 '15 at 1:52

Basically, no. You have retirement plan options and can either go with a Roth option, which won't change your current tax burden, or go with a traditional plan, which is tax deductible but won't change your business deductions or self-employment taxes. This article has an explanation of options for setting up SEP or Solo 401k plans. Key quote for all the pre-tax retirement plans:

Because pre-tax employer and employee contributions are deducted in the same way, neither one is more tax-efficient than the other.

The article goes on to say that if you were an S Corp or LLC that elected to be taxed as an S Corp, a Solo 401(k) plan would allow the business to make an employer contribution to your 401(k) and even then there's no tax advantage to the employer contribution. Conclusion for S-corps:

[Employer contributions] would reduce the amount of income from the S-corporation that would be passed through to you as the owner, thereby reducing your income tax. But, because this income is not subject to payroll taxes in the first place, these contributions will not reduce your payroll taxes.


You can deduct retirement contributions (above the line even), but not as a business expense. So you can't avoid the SE taxes, sorry.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.