I missed the deadline to claim my dependent care FSA for a previous year. Since the entire FSA amount was forfeited, can I claim dependent care credit instead for that year ?


No. You already received the deduction, since that lost FSA money was pre-tax. You can't double dip. However if your FSA amount was less than your actual expenses, you can file on the difference.

Example: $4500 actual expenses, $3000 FSA (lost). You can get the dependent care credit based on $1500.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.