I'm currently living in Canada. I have very nice job and I'm happy with it. My previous company in the U.S. contacted me and they want to hire me as a 1099 (independent contractor) working remotely.
I want to know what would be a reasonable hourly rate to charge them. I understand technology, but let's say not so much the financial stuff (taxes, fees, etc.) so help is greatly appreciated. Here are my variables:
- I know the company is genuinely interested in hiring me; they have seen my hard and quality work and they know I will do good. (They are minimizing risk here.)
- I know the company's IT team is struggling as well, and I believe in opportunities, after all I'm doing this for the extra money.
- I have a full time job in Canada now, so the work I will do for them will be after 6 PM and Saturdays.
- I will be doing .NET (Web and desktop) and PHP work. If you have IT background, you will know each one of these is one person's job. So they are hiring one instead of three. They know that.
- Of course they will not provide any benefits, they will not pay taxes, etc. And here is where I need help: I'm not sure If I have to pay U.S. and Canadian taxes? And what percentage is each?
- What other fees should I consider?
And the most important question: How much should I ask for? If you have any experience in this, I would greatly appreciate it if you can help me.