I don't have a SSN or US address.

I would like to start establishing a credit score in US. What are my options? What is the fastest way?

  • Why would you ever need a credit score in a country you have nothing to do with?
    – littleadv
    Commented Apr 18, 2015 at 5:41
  • Nothing currently. But I plan to in the future. In the future if I need to get a mortgage, I will need a credit score. If I start now then it'll be ready when I need a mortgage. It's too bad they can't just pull my Canadian credit score and convert it to US credit score.
    – Kirk
    Commented Apr 18, 2015 at 8:24
  • 3
    This is more of an expatriates SE question. See this answer, for example. Commented Apr 19, 2015 at 13:23
  • 1
    You'll need a US SSN for credit score.
    – CQM
    Commented Jun 19, 2015 at 18:06

3 Answers 3


Sorry. As far as I know, a person's SS is the only way to establish credit. This is the first thing they ask whenever you apply for any service in the US.


1) The easy way is to find a job and they will assign you an SSN.

2) Here's the hard way. If you're Canadian, open a TD Boarderless account in the U.S. Put a small investment into any investment that would generate some type of income, such as capital gain, dividends, interest and etc... Then you will need to file a US tax return to declare your income if you receive U.S. tax slips (although you're likely below the min filing requirement) at year end. To file a U.S. tax return, you may need what's called an ITIN or individual tax id number. With the ITIN, you can get credit from the US TD boarderless account (only). Consider getting a prepaid US credit card with the TD account to futher build credit at that specific bank. It's not much credit, but you do start with creating a history.


set up a US company (WY is cheap and easy), go south and open a personal and business bank account, ask for the itin form. file for the itin. set up your EIN for the company. get a credit card for both. pay some mail forwarding service with it. file for taxes in the next year using your itin. prepaid cards do not link to your tax id

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .