When reporting on a cash basis for Schedule C: what if a check arrives late in a year, but the matching 1099-MISC was issued for the prior year?

In other words, what if a client issues the 1099-MISC for 2014, but the check arrives in March 2015.

Can I choose to report the income in the prior year?

If I choose to report the income in the year received, how can this be reported to avoid matching problems with the IRS?

  • How late? Did the client actually cut the check in the next year and issued 1099 for the previous?
    – littleadv
    Apr 16, 2015 at 2:49
  • @littleadv exactly.
    – Bryce
    Apr 16, 2015 at 4:32
  • 1
    Then you should ask them to issue a corrected 1099. Can you prove that that's what they did? Is the date on the check for the next year?
    – littleadv
    Apr 16, 2015 at 5:50


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .