I just finished filing my 1040A tax form when I read that I may be able to deduct state and local taxes from my federal filing. I can't tell though if there is a way to deduct this on a 1040A form or if I need to redo everything on a 1040 form.

  • It's Schedule A, and as @wilee pointed out - it can only be attached to the form 1040 (i.e.: the "full" version). – littleadv Apr 14 '15 at 6:06

You need to itemize deductions in order to deduct state and local taxes paid.

From the instructions for form 1040A (i1040a):

In most cases, your federal income tax will be less if you take the larger of any itemized deductions you may have or the standard deduction. To itemize deductions, you must file Form 1040.

(My emphasis.)

| improve this answer | |
  • Better answers don't just provide links to reference materials, they quote from them. That way of the link dies the key info is still around. – mhoran_psprep Apr 14 '15 at 10:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.