I won a contest and the sponsor paid the money without withholding tax against my W8BEN. I am Indian citizen and I have to file taxes to US from India. I have received 1042-S claiming that I have to pay 30% Tax.

What is the process to file taxes to IRS from India?

Most material on IRS site refers to how a sponsor or a company can file for 1042-S and how US Citizens can file tax. There is nothing I found points to how a foreign national can file taxes to IRS for the income received from US entity.


You need to file IRS Form 1040-NR. The IRS's website provides instructions.


I had to follow these steps

  • Apply for ITIN first, takes almost couple of months
  • Apply for 1040-NR as recommended by @Heath
  • For the delayed process, file penalty + tax

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.