I work for a company based in Georgia but live in Florida and the company told me that they have to start deducting Georgia income tax even if I don't live or work in Georgia. Any way out of this?


Change the number allowances on the state version of the W-4 to a ridiculously high number like 50.

But technically you would want to withhold because you will have to file a non resident tax return in Georgia.

Looking at the instructions for the Georgia version of the W-4 you will have an opportunity to in the future claim exempt:

Line 8:

a) Check the first box if you qualify to claim exempt from withholding. You can claim exempt if you filed a Georgia income tax return last year and the amount on Line 4 of Form 500EZ or Line 16 of Form 500 was zero, and you expect to file a Georgia tax return this year and will not have a tax liability. You can not claim exempt if you did not file a Georgia income tax return for the previous tax year. Receiving a refund in the previous tax year does not qualify you to claim exempt.

  • withholding or dependents? – James Apr 11 '15 at 11:37
  • Technically, he talking "allowances." – JoeTaxpayer Apr 11 '15 at 13:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.