I lived and worked in Washington state for the most of 2014. At the very end I moved to California on the 28th of December, so technically I lived three days in the state of California (being unemployed at that time). In Washington I do not need to pay a state tax, but do I need to pay state tax for these 3 days in California?

  • did you have any income in these three days?
    – littleadv
    Apr 9, 2015 at 8:14
  • @littleadv no, no income. I was unemployed and started my job approximately on 10th of January 2015
    – randomizer
    Apr 9, 2015 at 9:38
  • Were you a resident of California in 2013?
    – Firejava
    Apr 9, 2015 at 15:55
  • no income - no return.
    – littleadv
    Apr 10, 2015 at 3:03

1 Answer 1


No, you only pay tax on money you earned while in the state in question. Even then generally there are exclusions if you made only a small amount. (Generally earning less than $400 or $500, depending on the state, relieves you a having to file or pay taxes in a state.)

Don't want to pay any state income tax? There are seven states with no state income tax. They are Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

Yes, I am a CPA.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.