a friend of mine visited a tax consultant in USA. The friend is an employee of a software firm and is on a non-resident alien category visa. The consultant told him to mark the apartment rent as unreimbursed employee expense and add it in the itemized deductions. The house he stays in is not provided by the company but the consultants argument was that the employee rented the apartment since he has to commute to work and occasionally does work from home, so it is a valid expense. It sounds fishy to me. Any advice?

  • 5
    Unless there are drtails you haven't included here which make this clearly a business expense rather than a convenience that advice is worse than wrong. – keshlam Apr 7 '15 at 18:06
  • 2
    I think it depends on the details. I deducted a room rental expense for about 18 months, but I maintained my permanent residence about 250 miles from the job site (so not viable as a daily commute), and only spent about every other week there. – jamesqf Apr 7 '15 at 18:46
  • 1
    Tax questions require that you specify the country. – Chris W. Rea Apr 7 '15 at 20:38
  • 1
    The logical thing to do here is to gt a second opinion from a professional. I would also ask what professional qualifications this consultant has, and whether he is providing this advice in writing. – DJClayworth Apr 8 '15 at 1:30
  • 1
    Unless the apartment is taken for the employer's convenience rather than the employee's, or is otherwise required rather than merely being a convenience, US tax law is unlikely to consider it a business expense. Generally the answer is "not deductible " unless the commute is completely unreasonable or you may need to be on site at a moment's notice. And remember that some Americans do tolerate commutes of an hour or more. – keshlam Apr 8 '15 at 4:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.