I am a Canadian resident who made US income, and contributed to a 401k. I know I must include my 401k contributions on my foreign income, but what about my employer's contributions?

Also, what are the ways that I can get these amounts deducted from my Canadian income tax? I have plenty of RRSP contributions left to make.


Canadian residents working in the US and contributing to a 401(k) do need to include their own 401(k) contributions in their reported income. However, since 2009 they can deduct those contributions on line 209(?). A treaty revison made this possible.

  • Welcome to Personal Finance & Money. Your answer addresses the half of the question about employee contributions; can you also address the issue of employer contributions? – dg99 Jul 1 '15 at 20:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.