I have 2 small business LLC's registered in Wisconsin, each with their own EIN. Call them Company A LLC and Company B LLC. I'm converting Company A LLC into an S Corp. Company B LLC will have it's sales run under Company A LLC, and cease operating as a separate entity. I plan on calling Company B LLC, Company B Shop.

I need to get a new checking account in the name of Company B Shop but my bank is saying that I need to contact the IRS and get a new SS-4 Form listing Company B Shop with Company A LLC's EIN. I tried contacting the IRS and wasn't able to get through. My accountant said I just need to setup a DBA through the state of Wisconsin. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Thanks in advance and I know it's confusing!

  • 1
    Please explain the term DBA.
    – dg99
    Mar 25 '15 at 21:47
  • 1
    DBA = doing business as. A public declaration that links a fictitious business name with the legal name of the person who owns it.
    – mkennedy
    Mar 25 '15 at 23:00

You're confusing a lot of things here.

Company B LLC will have it's sales run under Company A LLC, and cease operating as a separate entity

These two are contradicting each other. If B LLC ceases to exist - it is not going to have it's sales run under A LLC, since there will be no sales to run for a non-existent company.

What happens is that you merge B LLC into A LLC, and then convert A LLC into S Corp. So you're cancelling the EIN for B LLC, you're cancelling the EIN for A LLC - because both entities cease to exist. You then create a EIN for A Corp, which is the converted A LLC, and you create a DBA where A Corp DBA B Shop. You then go to the bank and open the account for A Corp DBA B Shop with the EIN you just created for A Corp.

Get a better accountant. Before you convert to S-Corp.

  • My account is keeping Company A LLC as the name of the S Corp with the same EIN that Company A LLC had/has.
    – Tom
    Mar 26 '15 at 13:49
  • @Tom you cannot do that. You cannot change entity and keep the same EIN, you have to re-issue a new EIN.
    – littleadv
    Mar 30 '15 at 4:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.