I was in a company A, which got acquired in 2012. All the stocks I owned were vested immediately and 10% of the amount was kept by the acquiring company for 18 months. I left the company and joined company B in 2013.

I got a payment via cheque from a bank (escrow) in 2014. Also, I received a form 1099-MISC for the same.

Now, when I tried filing my taxes using a tax software, I get stuck because there is no option to select which case applies to me. There are options which say this income was to be on a W-2 but is not and the employee is employed with that company (But I am in company B now).

It is very confusing but none of these directly make sense for my case. It also looks like that 1099-MISC is for contractors but not for permanent employees.

Sorry for being a bit ambiguous, I can get exact choices later from the software, but if you have any suggestions based on information I gave so far, then please advise.

Thanks a lot!


  • In HRBlock/TaxCut, there is a "Show Box" menu that lets you jump directly to each form that you have received in the mail. Is 1099-MISC listed there? – Aaron D. Marasco Mar 24 '15 at 0:20
  • I am using turbotax, I was not able to find show box, also, i did receive this 1099-MISC in mail. 1099 MISC shows the income in item number 7, i.e. non-employee compensation. – Gaurav Sinha Mar 24 '15 at 3:35
  • Also, do I need to file form SS-8? I am too confused right now. – Gaurav Sinha Mar 24 '15 at 3:37
  • I meant "shoe box" sorry. I have no idea for TurboTax nor SS-8, sorry. – Aaron D. Marasco Mar 24 '15 at 22:55
  • Turbotax has four tiers of software for increasing complexity of return. I don't know what their lowest tier covers. You may need to get a more expensive version. – David Thornley Jul 17 '18 at 15:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.