I have a credit card debt of $600, five years ago in Newzealand. I left the country from then, now I live in Singapore.

Will the Newzealand bankers come to Singapore and ask my bank to take money from my bank account and pay them? Although I am using a different bank now.

  • 8
    You use other people's money and have no intention of paying it back, so in other words you are a thief. – Victor Mar 23 '15 at 6:38
  • 2
    @Victor: not paying back debts is most definitely not theft. Getting into debt without intention to pay it back may be fraud, though that probably doesn't apply in this case. – Michael Borgwardt Mar 23 '15 at 9:08
  • 4
    @MichaelBorgwardt - This is not EnglishUsage.SE, and while you may be technically correct, I believe it's a distinction without a difference. – JoeTaxpayer Mar 23 '15 at 9:55
  • @JoeTaxpayer: it's an important distinction if you believe that justice is more than "I want people to be punished for whatever I feel is wrong". – Michael Borgwardt Mar 23 '15 at 9:57
  • 1
    If you return to New Zealand, you may be flagged for the unpaid debt. It would be a shame to land in New Zealand and then go directly to jail. – Sun Mar 23 '15 at 16:48

New Zealand Bank cannot directly ask Singapore Bank. They can approach courts in Singapore and request for funds. Given that amount is small, the cost for pursuing a court case in Singapore would be much higher and the Bank in New Zealand may have already written this off.

They may still have reported you as a defaulter, depending on various things, you may not get a Visa to travel back into New Zealand, or get one and get arrested once you land in New Zealand even during transit.


New Zealand has a statute of limitations on debt of six years, twelve years if it is "a debt acknowledged in a deed" (probably not the case here). If you have had no contact with the bank for that time, the debt expires.

If you got convicted of a crime in relation to the debt (e.g. fraud) then that would fall under a different statute of limitations, but a bank isn't going to bother doing that over $600, and the courts would probably not accept the case anyway.

  • 2
    In most countries statute of limitations clock is frozen while the person is out of country. – littleadv Mar 23 '15 at 15:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .