Can I, as the owner of an S Corporation that is registered in the District of Columbia as a For-Profit Domestic Corporation, use form 1040 Schedule C?

Two tax professionals have used this form; for the past two years since business started; though checking since others said that is wrong.

  • No employees
  • Business started in 2012 and both years filed the following forms
    • IRS form - 8879 - e-file signature authorization
    • IRS form - 1040 - U.S. individual income tax return
    • IRS form - 1040 Schedule A - itemized deductions
    • IRS form - 1040 Schedule C - profit or loss from business (sole proprietorship)
    • IRS form - 1040 Schedule C-EZ - net profit from business (this is not related to m business but my wife's business and I think we can ignore this as it does not have my company's info)
    • IRS form - 1040 Schedule SE - self-employment tax
    • IRS form - 1040 Schedule SE - self-employment tax ( for my wife so I think we can ignore )
    • IRS form - 8829 - expenses for business use of your home ( I have home-based business )
    • IRS form - 4562 - Depreciation and amortization
    • DC Form - D-40 SUB - individual income tax return
    • DC Form - d-2210 - underpayment of estimated income tax by individuals
    • DC form - D-40E Sub DC

Thank you in advance for all your guidance.

1 Answer 1


No, you can not use Schedule C for a Corporation.

If you treat the business as a sole proprietorship, i.e.: not a separate legal entity and not a separate financial entity - then you can. If that's how you treat your corporation, then you can continue using Schedule C, but there's no reason whatsoever to continue being a corporation either since the corporate liability protection veil is likely to be long gone.

Generally, corporations file form 1120, S-Corporations file form 1120S.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.