I got a state income tax refund for tax year 2013 from the state of Maryland last year (2014). That refund is correctedly stated on the 1099G I received. However, subsequent to getting the refund, the state recomputed my tax and required me to pay more, which I did. Should that additional payment result in a corrected 1099G being generated? For example, if the original refund was $2500, and I had to pay $700 extra, should a new 1099G with a refund amount of $1800 be issued? If not, how do I enter the extra $700 payment on my federal tax forms (for year 2014)?


No, you deduct it in the year you paid. The 1099G is for the deduction you took a year before.

You add it to the State tax paid as you enter your Schedule A data.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.