I received my US federal tax return earlier this month. When I first looked at the check, I noticed it had a % symbol, followed by my mother's name on the line below the one with my name. It looks like:
% MOTHER'S NAME
111 EXAMPLE ROAD
AUSTIN TX 99999 9999
I thought this was odd, so I called my mother that evening, and she agreed that It was strange. I didn't think much of it until I tried to cash the check at Walmart, and they said I needed her present to do so.
- We both have the same mailing address
- I filed as 'single' (I know this for a fact)
- I received, and cashed without incident, my federal return last year (I do not recall if my mother's name was on the check).
- My mother has not filed her federal taxes this year.
- She claims (though I have no 1st hand materials by which to verify) that she did not claim me as a dependent last year.
My questions are as follows:
- What can I do to get this check cashed?
Walmart wants her there in person with photo ID. We do not get along and only speak on occasion however, so this seems unlikely. I am going to take it to a bank tomorrow to open an account with and see if they take it.
I don't expect any IRS employees on this forum, but any info on what this means, how this happened, and/or how to prevent it would be greatly appreciated.