I am aware that one can claim tax reimbursement on expenses incurred on travelling within India during a personal leave. Although, I find this concept very confusing. I already understand the following concepts :
- LTA can be claimed for two journeys in a block of 4 years.
- Unclaimed LTA balance for one journey from the previous block can be carried forward to the current block.
I want to understand the following :
- What is the current LTA block
- What was the previous LTA block
- Do I have to claim LTA for two journeys in one go or can I claim LTA for one journey in the first year of the block and claim the LTA for another journey in the 4th year of the block?
- I traveled all around India in October 2013, what block does this fall under? When can I claim this under LTA?
- If I took a leave in my previous job and I did not claim any LTA, can I still claim it with my current employer? Do I need any documents from my previous employer for this?
- What is the LTA limit? Is there a fixed formula for this such as x % of basic pay?
- If I traveled to multiple destinations during my vacation, can I claim LTA for all the travel expenses or does it include only destination. Consider the following scenarios :
- Vacation 1 (2013) Traveled from A to B, B to C and from C to A.
- Vacation 2 (2014) Traveled from A to B, B to C, C to B and B to A
What can I claim as LTA for the above vacations?
It would be great if some of the confusing questions that I have asked above can be answered with examples.