I'm filling tax return forms 1040NR-EZ, 540NR-short for non-resident (I was exchange visitor in U.S.).

When I was in U.S., I withdrew cash from an ATM using a card from an account of mine at a non-US bank, and then put it into my U.S. bank account. I withdrew and then put in my U.S. bank $2000 totally.

Is it an income that I should declare somehow in forms mentioned above?

  • 3
    Just to be clear: this is YOUR non-US bank account, not someone else's? – Joe Feb 20 '15 at 15:12
  • 1
    Yes, if the two accounts are yours I don't see a problem. If the non-US card was someone else's... that may mean you've received income. – Peter K. Feb 20 '15 at 15:12

You normally wouldn't pay income taxes on money that isn't income. Transferring money or withdrawing it from a bank isn't an income generating event. I think it is very doubtful that you would need to claim that on income tax forms.

  • 2
    Agreed, this just seems to be like transferring from one bank account to another... unless the not U.S. bank card was a pre-paid card sent to the poster as payment (income). – Peter K. Feb 20 '15 at 15:12
  • 1
    @PeterK. Even if that were the case, the receipt of the pre-paid card is the income-generating event, not the transfer into a US bank account. – DJClayworth Feb 20 '15 at 15:29
  • 1
    @DJClayworth Understood. If that is what has happened, though, it needs to be reported as income (not just the act of depositing it, as you point out). – Peter K. Feb 20 '15 at 15:31
  • No, I used my own, regular credit card of not U.S. bank. So, I just "transferred" money from my not U.S. bank to U.S. bank. – user25768 Feb 20 '15 at 15:49
  • 2
    A cheque is an 'order to pay'. If you never cash the cheque no money is transferred. However with a prepaid card the money has been paid to the card account, which is now yours. I guess if you never used the card you might argue that the value isn't income. But really all I meant to say was that if you spent the money on the card in ways other than transferring it to your account it is still income. – DJClayworth Feb 20 '15 at 16:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .