If I have income only through freelancing (developing software for a US based Company) and am not a incorporated business do I need to file ITR4 or ITR2


ITR1 or ITR2 needs to be filed. Declare the income through freelancing in the section "income from other sources"

  • Thanks Dheer. I have filed a return with ITR4 and received a communication about defective return asking to fill balance sheet and profit and loss account. Can I still change the form and file a return with ITR1 or ITR2 – user1596722 Feb 17 '15 at 3:47

Since you are living in India and earning income not from salary, you must file your tax return under ITR4(Profits or Gains of Business or Profession). You can do it online on IncomeTax India eFiling website, step by step guide available here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.