I am a non-resident alien in the US and I filled form 1040 by mistake, which is for US residents. I think I should fill 1040X and 1040NR by paper, but I am not sure if I should wait until the return is rejected or not.


1 Answer 1


You need to file an amended return with the IRS. You can find details here. I believe you'd file the 1040X and the NR. Attach the 1040NR to the 1040X.

More detailed instructions can be found here.

  • Thanks for the answer! I know, but I think that's the case only when you filled incorrectly the right form. I have never filed the NR, just the 1040, which wouldn't be appropriate for me. Feb 9, 2015 at 23:19
  • It might be good to file the X form and the one you should have filed, writing amended on the NR form.
    – Andy
    Feb 10, 2015 at 0:17
  • Actually, you are supposed to attach the 1040NR to the 1040X. See 1040X instructions (irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf), page 4, under "Resident and nonresident aliens"
    – user102008
    Feb 10, 2015 at 3:04
  • @user102008 I've updated my answer.
    – Andy
    Feb 10, 2015 at 19:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .