I handle joint internet banking for myself and my husband. Our online account happens to have been created using my husband's personal details.

While logged in under this account (as usual) I attempted to open an ISA in my name. Despite entering all my personal details, the ISA was nonetheless created in my husband's name.

Before realizing this, I deposited the maximum yearly amount. Because my husband already has a Stocks & Shares ISA in his name (to which we contribute a small amount each month), he has now effectively over-contributed for this year.

What happens now?

  • You will only get relief for £15k(combined). What is stopping you from withdrawing the amount and putting it in your name ?
    – DumbCoder
    Feb 2, 2015 at 9:58
  • @DumbCoder that not how ISA's work take it out you lose it
    – Pepone
    Feb 2, 2015 at 23:05
  • @Pepone - Yes I know that. My assumption was they might have different banks for their stocks and shares ISA and cash ISA.
    – DumbCoder
    Feb 3, 2015 at 9:07
  • 2
    @DumbCoder I imagine there's a risk that, since some of the cash contribution apparently happened before the S&S contributions, that if HMRC got wind of it they might declare that some of the S&S contributions were invalid. If that happens, and the OP has already withdrawn valid cash contributions, a portion of the allowance may well be wasted. Feb 3, 2015 at 13:24

1 Answer 1


You should speak to HMRC about the correct way to unpick this.

The ISA helpline number is 0300 200 3312.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .