I work for a company registered in CA; they have no offices in my state. I'm a W2 employee and they are withholding taxes for VT, where I reside. Will I need to file a CA income tax return?

This link seems to contradict itself: http://www.taxes.ca.gov/Income_Tax/newind.shtml#FilingRequired

  • 1
    Have you been to California?
    – littleadv
    Jan 27, 2015 at 3:30
  • 1
    It will depend a lot on whether you ever physically worked in California, even for short stretches of time.
    – JohnFx
    Jan 27, 2015 at 4:21
  • @JohnFx No, I won't be working in CA. Its a small company and everyone works from home.
    – Andy
    Jan 27, 2015 at 23:39
  • 1
    Just checking, even home based employees sometimes travel to the home base a few times a year. That might change the answer.
    – JohnFx
    Jan 28, 2015 at 0:52
  • What's confusing you in that link?
    – littleadv
    Jan 28, 2015 at 7:50

1 Answer 1


California is not one of the states that have a "Connivence of Employer" rules that would force a non-resident (telecommuter) to pay state income tax

As of 2013, only New York, Pennsylvania, Delware, and Nebraska have these laws.

If you spent a portion of the year physically working in CA, that would change things, but not for a 100% telecommute situation

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .