This question already has an answer here:

I'm selling my home just one year after purchasing it (to move into a home with my husband). I might make as much as $6,000 profit. I intend to use this money for improvements on the new home. Will that be considered rolling over to a new home, thereby allowing me to avoid capital gains tax, or is the tax unavoidable?

marked as duplicate by JoeTaxpayer Jan 22 '15 at 22:52

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    Please see this answer, and see if that answers your question for you: money.stackexchange.com/a/36283/14835 – Noah Jan 22 '15 at 16:52
  • Yes USA/Arizona. Thank you for that link. I might be able to use an exclusion as my full time job has been reduced to a part time job and I won't be able to afford this home on my own. I'll be moving in with my soon to be husband, but that's after I sell this home. Thank you for your answer. – CindyinAZ Jan 22 '15 at 16:57
  • 2
    Regarding "Will that be considered rolling over to a new home": that part of the tax law ended in the late 1990's – mhoran_psprep Jan 22 '15 at 19:47