I am Indian and staying in India. I am holding stocks/shares of a French company which is listed on the Paris stock exchange.

Every year, the French company declares dividend on the shares, and on those dividends 30% tax is getting deducted and withheld. How can save on this tax, as the dividend is reduced by it, and I don't stay in France. Also, how can I get tax back which was deducted on the dividends?

  • 2
    The 30% tax is withheld by your broker, I believe. You can reclaim the paid tax(under the tax treaty between India and France), check with an accountant while filing your tax returns.
    – DumbCoder
    Jan 21 '15 at 13:05

France taxes capital / dividend gains accrued in France. Hence you will not be able to reduce this liability. India does have a Double Tax Avoidance Treaty with France and you can claim relief for the tax paid in France.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.