I have a traditional IRA, which has money which has been contributed three different ways:

  1. deductible IRA contributions
  2. non-deductible IRA contributions
  3. rollover from 401(k)

I'm looking at converting this to a Roth IRA in 2010, now that there's no income limitation. I also may only convert part of my traditional IRA this year, to avoid a bump in the marginal tax rate.

I also have a Roth 401(k), although I don't think this has any effect.

How would the calculations work for how much tax I would owe? Are there any other things I should be aware of?

  • OK, so you have a Traditional IRA, a Roth IRA, and a 401(k). Which are you wanting to move funds out of, and which are you wanting to move funds into? Oct 22, 2010 at 22:56
  • @Benjamin Chambers Converting from the Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. As far as I know, there's no other type of allowable conversion.
    – DanTilkin
    Oct 23, 2010 at 4:20

2 Answers 2


Conversions are done on a pro-rata basis. If you haven't yet paid tax on the money, you need to do so in the process of converting.

Let's say you have a total of $50k in your account:

  • $10k in deductible contributions
  • $10k in non-deductible contributions
  • $20k in 401(k) rollover funds
  • $10k in as-yet untaxed earnings

If you decide to convert half of this to a Roth ($25k), you'd owe tax on $20k of that, because 80% of your holdings in the traditional IRA have not been taxed yet. The non-deductible contributions have been taxed, so you don't need to pay tax again on that part.

More information is here.


MB's math is right, but I can describe it in a short sentence. All Traditional accounts are combined, 401(k) rollover is no different from other IRA money. You should have been tracking your non-deducted money via form 8606 so you know this figure. The non-deducted money as a percent of your total balance is the percent of conversion that's not taxed. (To be clear, deducted contributions and growth are not tracked separately, one only tracks the non-deducted deposits.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.