I am a non-resident alien living in the US now, and I need to ask if I have to pay any IRS any taxes after the age of 59 1/2 on any gains or earnings from a Roth IRA withdrawals?

I know that US residents and green card holders do not pay any taxes on Roth IRA withdrawals after age of 59 1/2. Is that any different for non-resident aliens?

Thank you!


1 Answer 1


It is not different. However, you're probably resident (for tax purposes) of your home country, and you'll need to check the rules there. It can definitely be considered taxable retirement income (with the basis of the original contribution).

  • I am concerned about IRS and not taxes at my home country. So I take it that no withholding will be made on any Roth IRA withdrawals after age of 59.5. I appreciate it if you can confirm! Many thanks!!!
    – Mariam
    Commented Dec 27, 2014 at 10:46
  • @littleadv - is there also a 5 year rule or is that for conversions, not regular deposits? Commented Dec 27, 2014 at 16:08
  • @Mariam I have no idea about withholding. You asked about taxes. Your immigration or tax residency status has no bearing on the taxability of the withdrawing in the US. That said, Joe mentioned 5 years rule for conversions - this also still applies in your case. Bottom line - the rules don't change because of the change of your immigration status or tax residency.
    – littleadv
    Commented Dec 27, 2014 at 19:39
  • 1
    For non-resident aliens, from what I read, if you do any withdrawals that are taxable, the payer has to do withholding of 30% unless the country has a tax agreement with the US. A special tax form has to be filled out W-9 (I think) by non-resident alien.
    – Mariam
    Commented Dec 29, 2014 at 6:40
  • @Mariam yeah, but then you file a tax return and claim refund of all that was in excess to what you were supposed to pay.
    – littleadv
    Commented Dec 29, 2014 at 6:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .