My mother got her green card this year. She won't work here. All her expenses will be paid by me. Since she is 67 years old, I am planning to apply for Medi-Cal health coverage for her.

My question is: If she gets Medi-Cal benefits, can I still claim her as a dependent?

  • 2
    As far as I know, as long as you're paying over 50% of her living expenses, you can claim her as a dependent. – mkennedy Dec 17 '14 at 19:42
  • 1
    Although Medi-Cal will count the parent's income for an adult child who is claimed as a dependent. I couldn't find anything for your case. See this site however. – mkennedy Dec 19 '14 at 23:19

You will be able to claim your mother as a dependent on your federal taxes so long as she lives with you for the entire year, you provide at least 50% of her income (pay at least 50% of her expenses), she does not file separately, no one else claims her and she is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.



That is my question as well. But when I called MediCal they said if I will claim my parents as my dependents MediCal had to consider my income as their income. So basically they will base my income to their MediCal eligibility & they won’t get approved. But if I take them off as my tax dependents even if I provide everything for them They are considered zero income since they don’t have a job & will get approved. It is really confusing & so sad that I can’t even claim my parents as my dependents even I provide everything for them.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .