I am full time employed. If I want to generate some income from a side hobby-business by buying and selling gift cards, at what point in time do I need to register as a business/corporation with the CRA? If I am making more than a certain amount/year from the side business?

I just do not want to do unnecessary paperwork and pay accountant fees unless required by law.

  • Are you thinking of doing it as a personal hobby, or as an actual business? – Canadian Luke Jan 14 '15 at 23:14

If you do business under your name, you don't need to register your business. Your business will be treated as a sole proprietorship. If your revenue exceeds 30,000 (or wish to collect GST for the government) then you will have to register with the CRA for a GST account, but that is free.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.