I am full time employed. If I want to generate some income from a side hobby-business by buying and selling gift cards, at what point in time do I need to register as a business/corporation with the CRA? If I am making more than a certain amount/year from the side business?

I just do not want to do unnecessary paperwork and pay accountant fees unless required by law.

  • Are you thinking of doing it as a personal hobby, or as an actual business? Commented Jan 14, 2015 at 23:14

1 Answer 1


If you do business under your name, you don't need to register your business. Your business will be treated as a sole proprietorship. If your revenue exceeds 30,000 (or wish to collect GST for the government) then you will have to register with the CRA for a GST account, but that is free.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .