I am a US Citizen and have moved recently to India and started my own company. My Client is in US has asked me to Fill W8-BEN form. I want to check will W8-BEN be applicable to my Indian company and how can I avoid double taxation .
What is right and legal way to get payed from US customers.


If you're a US citizen - you do not fill W8-BEN, you fill W9.

If you're a US citizen - you pay your taxes in the US on your worldwide income. Check with an Indian tax accountant as to how to claim credit on these taxes from India.

If you're a US citizen - Indo-US tax treaty is most likely not applicable for you.

From the US tax perspective, you may be better off as a sole proprietor than working under your own company. However, you should check it with a properly licensed (US-licensed EA/CPA) tax adviser, and also consider Indian tax consequences.

Reporting ownership in foreign corporations is quite a burden for US citizens.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.