I've been part of an LLC that actually never started to operate. My management opened it, and then closed it after 2 years.

No income, no business bank account, no EIN. Basically it was just registered to the California Secretary of State, and nothing else.

How can I reach the IRS with my SSN and ask them if there is something I owe, and if my American tax situation is completely clean?

  • 2
    These aren't taxable events. But the real answer is to get an accountant.
    – CQM
    Dec 1, 2014 at 22:38
  • How were you part of it? Did you own shares in the company or have some other kind of relationship there?
    – JB King
    Dec 1, 2014 at 23:27

1 Answer 1


The LLC (not you) is probably in debt to the California FTB. Any LLC registered in California must pay at least $800 a year, until it is officially dissolved (i.e.: notice of cancellation/dissolution properly filed with the California Secretary of State).

The FTB may come after members (including you) personally, if it can prove that the failure to pay was due to your negligence. Talk to a CA-licensed EA/CPA about how to resolve this.

Otherwise, at least from what you've described, there were no other taxable events. LLC is a disregarded entity, so the IRS doesn't care about it much anyway (unless someone was stupid enough to elect it to be taxed as a corporation, that is).

Keep in mind that when in doubt - you are always better off with a professional (a CPA/EA licensed in your State) advice.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .