I was not US resident (or B1/B2) and not in the U.S in preceding days before Nov. 2014. I get permanent residency and stay few weeks, and leave US due to the job in foreign country. I do have foreign bank accounts exceed the reporting threshold. Shall I fill and report all my foreign bank accounts next year?

Another question is regarding the reporting of bank record. A bank usually creates different account numbers for different purposes, such as checking, saving, deposit, foreign currencies. So my account in one bank might have several account numbers. How do I report them in the filing system? Do I need to fill each number and maximum amount as separated records in one form for the same bank in my reporting?

  • 3
    If unsure - err on the side of safety. Filing FBAR is just filing a piece of paper. If you end up being required to file and you didn't - it may cost you thousands.
    – littleadv
    Nov 20 '14 at 7:49

I looked into it. It would appear that if you're a permanent resident any time of the year - you're considered resident for tax purposes for that time. That would mean that you're required to file FBAR for the year if you're a permanent resident any time of the year, even if it is one single day.

I do not have a definitive answer for your second part of the question, go through the instructions. But I would guess that if it is easy to identify these accounts - just write them all down, otherwise just write something that will allow FinCEN to tie the accounts to you (national ID number would work, probably).

But do talk to a licensed tax adviser (EA/CPA licensed in your State) to be sure.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.