I am planning to purchase a vehicle in the coming months. I have a business of my own formed as a S-corp in Virginia. I will be using the vehicle to commute every day to and from work and for other client meetings.

I'm wondering what are some of the pro's and con's of purchasing a vehicle under my business as compared to personal?

Few that I'm interested in:

Pro: 100% of the vehicle cost is counted as a deductible towards my business

Con: I would have to pay personal property tax on the business vehicle but it seems that the tax rate for personal property and business property is the same for the county I live in (4.57 for each $100 assessed value)

  • Using the vehicle to commute to work is not necessarily considered a business expense. You either have to reimburse the company for personal use of the business vehicle, or you need to count it as a fringe benefit--in which case, you must pay income tax on the value of that benefit. See irs.gov/publications/p15b/… – rob Nov 3 '14 at 18:26

Regarding vehicle property tax in Virgina. The big difference is that business vehicles don't get a tax break:

Under Virginia law -- the Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 (PPTRA, also known as the "No Car Tax" legislation) -- the State planned to subsidize 100% of the taxes on personal use vehicle assessments below $20,000 by the year 2002. In passing this law, the State effectively pledged state revenue to pay local governments throughout the Commonwealth a subsidy in lieu of personal property taxes that local governments would have otherwise collected directly from taxpayers. At present, the State pays approximately 62% of the bill, and the taxpayer pays the remaining 38%. These rates are subject to change annually. The taxpayer must pay the full amount of taxes on any vehicle assessment that exceeds $20,000. Only personal use vehicles qualify for PPTRA.

If that vehicle is worth 20K then a business will pay 4.57% of 20,000, but an individual will pay 4.57% of 7,600. A difference of $566 per year.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.