I'm a U.S. citizen who lives in the U.S., but I'm going to be working in Mexico for a Mexican company. Do I still have to pay taxes in the U.S.?


Since you are a US citizen, you have to pay US income tax on your world-wide income, but you do get to deduct (or take a tax credit for) taxes paid to other countries from the taxes you owe to the US. Tax treaties also affect such matters. Also watch out for reporting requirements for foreign accounts that you have, or will likely have once you start working in Mexico.


In addition to the Foreign Tax Credit, which @DilipSarwate mentioned, if you stay out of the U.S. for more than 330 days of the year, you can also use the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, with which you can exclude your first ~$95K of income from U.S. taxes.

In any case, you will still have to file U.S. tax returns, regardless of whether you actually have to pay any money.

  • 4
    Why instead? You can combine them. FEIE to the limit, and FTC for the portion above FEIE or non-earned income taxed in Mexico. – littleadv Sep 24 '14 at 5:33

protected by Chris W. Rea Aug 23 '15 at 4:20

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.