So here's the situation:
- I reserved two spaces on a bus tour
- Three days before the tour departs I am emailed to notify me the trip has been cancelled. I am given the option to either rebook a day earlier or have my money refunded
- I exchange some emails with the company to ask questions about the new potential booking, I had not agreed to rebook at this time
- I decide to cancel my reservation and send an email back to the company informing them of such
- I make alternate plans and reservations at another company
- Half an hour after I confirm to cancel I recieve an email informing me the trip is no longer cancelled, they claim there was a problem with the hotel before
My question is, is this a valid reason to file a chargeback on my credit card? I feel that I should be able to receive a refund as I had already been cancelled on by the company and confirmed before they revoked their decision but I'm not sure. It may be relevant that this is taking place in Canada.
Edit: One piece of additional info: I have already talked to them over the phone and they insist they haven't charged me yet, and I will not be charged. When I informed them I had in fact been charged they agreed it would be reversed. So I have tried to resolve the issue and I don't have any confidence they will reverse the charge as it has not been done yet. They are difficult to communicate which makes the whole process more difficult.