My roommate and I both have our names on the lease for our shared apartment. She has a renter's insurance policy that she claims is enough to cover both her belongings and mine (I'm not 100% sure on this, I would have to thoroughly evaluate everything we own and verify that her policy covers all of it). Our apartment requires renter's insurance but they seemed satisfied that only one of us had a policy. Should I get my own renter's insurance policy anyway to protect myself or is this a waste of money?

  • 3
    Is your name on her policy as an insured party?
    – BrenBarn
    Aug 11, 2014 at 18:14
  • Probably not. I will have to ask her about this.
    – ben.coffee
    Aug 11, 2014 at 18:46

1 Answer 1


The apartment complex is satisfied because they have a clear company to go to in case of a problem. However, this has nothing at all to do with your belongings.

Renters insurance will cover the people listed on the policy. If you aren't listed, then you and your stuff isn't covered.

It's better for you to acquire your own policy. As she has her own, you wouldn't need to include her. Once nuptials are tied (if ever) then consolidate. However, you two break it off then, well, this is one less thing to worry about.

  • If she sets his crap on fire, she's liable in both civil and criminal courts, so I reject your worst-case scenario.
    – Jared
    Aug 15, 2014 at 15:23
  • @jared: That was the "messy" part. I'm sure that she would be found guilty/held liable. However the legal cost to the OP could exceed the value of the destroyed items. Never mind that it would take a long time. With insurance, the payout would be very quick.
    – NotMe
    Aug 15, 2014 at 15:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.