TV and the web are filled with ads promising to give you a free copy of your credit report. Unfortunately, instead of being wholly free, they are actually free trials, which means:
- You only get them for free once
- You have to enter a credit card number
- You have to opt out of a bunch of crap services you don't need
- You must remember to cancel the service before the trial period is up
All of which is huge pain in the rear. Is there any truly free way that you can use to determine your credit score?
If not, I've heard you can send a letter the the 3 major credit bureaus asking for your reports and get them via the postal service. Taking this route:
- What addresses need one send letters to?
- What should one's letter contain?
- Should a self-addressed, stamped envelope be included?