If you are a start-up from home and do not have an office yet, how can you register your business on http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/ without publicly disclosing your personal home address? I know about virtual offices but I find that they are very pricey and I'm looking for a cost-effective solution.
You don't have to provide your personal home address per se. You can provide a legal address where Companies house can send across paper correspondence to. Companies house legally requires an address because directors are liable to their shareholders(even if you are the only shareholder) and to stop them from disappearing just like that with shareholder's money. Moreover your birth date will also be visible on websites which provide comapnies information. You can ask these websites to stop sharing your personal information.
Every company must have a registered office within the UK which is the official legal address of the company. It must be a physical address (i.e. not a PO Box without a physical location) as Companies House will use this address to send correspondence to.
To incorporate a private limited company you need at least one director, who has to be over 16 years of age. You may also have a secretary, but this is optional. The information you will need to supply for each officer includes:
- full name
- usual residential address (not displayed on public record)
- service address (can be the same as the registered office)
- country/state of residence (i.e. the country or state where the address is situated)
- nationality, occupation, date of birth and any former names (that have been used for business purposes in the last 20 years).
- 'consent to act' information – in place of a signature you will need to provide 3 items of personal information from the following 7 categories: Town of birth, Last 3 digits of telephone number, Last 3 digits of National Insurance number, Last 3 digits of Passport number, Mothers maiden name, Eye Colour, Fathers first name.
You may also have officers that are companies or firms, and for these you will need to supply the company or firm name, its registered office address, details of the legal form of the company, where it is registered and if applicable its registration number.
Many serviced offices allow you to use their address for companies house.