I hope the title explains it all. I supply goods which are taxable in UK. If the EU customer is not taxable, should I zero rate it or is the transaction outside the scope of VAT ?

closed as off-topic by littleadv, Dheer, Ganesh Sittampalam, JoeTaxpayer Jun 25 '14 at 12:18

  • This question does not appear to be about Personal Finance within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


If your customer is VAT-registered in their home country, provides their full VAT number, and you do some paperwork, then it's zero-rated for VAT. If your customer is not VAT-registered, then you need to charge VAT the same as if they were in the UK. See here for full details.

However, if you're selling more than a threshold amount to another EU country (generally a few tens of thousands of Euro, but it varies by country), then you have to register for VAT in that country.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.