Would it ever make sense to take a lower salary in order to contribute fully to a Roth IRA?
This is probably very circumstantial, so let's assume:
- I'm not in debt and have no other obligations (family, etc)
- I don't really need the additional money in the short term
- I'm able to contribute the legal Roth limit regardless of the salary I take
- I'm fairly young (30+ years from retirement)
- I'm filing singly (so if I understand correctly, the cut-off for full contribution to my Roth is $114,000 for 2014)
My reasoning is that I don't need the additional salary income anyway, so if I can take a lower salary, I'd be able to contribute more Roth more for now. Also, I might be able to negotiate and give up salary for non-salary compensation / benefits.